A Speechwriter on our team understands how to connect organizational strategy, public affairs key messaging and programmatic details with appropriate voice and syntax for meaningful, on-point speeches. Our ideal Speechwriter asks the right questions, shares insights across teams, communicates proactively and constantly (early and often!) with clients and colleagues, leads with a positive attitude, and is able to take direction from the client while communicating back to the headquarters team.
In this role, speech content will focus primarily on transportation infrastructure, innovation, department programs, projects, and other initiatives. The Speechwriter will interview high-level leadership and subject matter experts, research and understand industry, style and tone based on event, craft speeches, presentations, notes and other communications for delivery to a variety of audiences, including industry, government and community leaders.
In addition to speechwriting, the ideal candidate should have a passion for understanding the broader communications strategy, with the ability to work with the A. Bright Idea headquarters team. A “Bright Light” on our team is excited by solving communication challenges and thrives in our fast-paced, high-volume, quick-on-your-feet, respectful-of-all-ideas environment.
This is a full-time, salaried position with onsite support at a client location in Washington, D.C. with occasional travel to our agency headquarters in Bel Air, Maryland. Potential for hybrid schedule.
Job responsibilities include:
- Understanding content, purpose, audience, setting and objectives for each deliverable for organizational leadership
- Gathering information and content drafts from subject matter experts
- Translating and simplifying technical information into easily digestible, succinct narratives that relate to the topic, speaker, purpose and intended audience
- Preparing interesting, compelling copy by using stories, metaphors, similes and analogies – creatively capturing the tone and voice of the speaker
- Writing executive-ready talking points, remarks and speeches; composing editorials, news releases, articles, internal newsletters and blogs
- Revising materials to address technical feedback from reviewers and to meet management’s expectations for style and content
- Assisting executives with delivery preparation
- Observing local events; attending meetings in-person as needed
- Managing deadlines and project flow in consultation with upper management, including setting internal deadlines as necessary and working with subject matter experts and others to see projects through to completion
- Managing multiple assignments simultaneously amid changing priorities, often without direct access to speaker
- Reviewing other written materials and editing for style, messaging, consistency, etc.
- Experience: Minimum 7-10 years in professional communications with experience speechwriting for department-level government official, elected Member of Congress or CEO
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field
- Demonstrated ability to write quickly and clearly, and to create content specific to the style, voice and preferences of the speaker
- Demonstrated ability to meet professional standards (AP Style Guide, Plain Writing Act of 2010, department style guides and policies) for grammar, punctuation, style and format
- Ability to communicate high-level speech purpose and context to clients and upper management
- Problem-solver and over-communicator with an exceptional attention to detail
- Passionate and cooperative team player with a strong work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities
- Ability to meet deadlines and short turnaround requests
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and web-based software programs